to visit the VEGEMITE Facebook
Fanpage and join the conversation
Download a PDF of the entire AUSTRALIAN Timeline
- October 4: Britain's first nuclear bomb explodes in the Monte Bello Islands off the coast of Western Australia. A thick cloud can be seen 10,000 feet high and 1 mile wide over the islands.
- November 15: The Melbourne 'Argus' becomes the first newspaper in the world to publish colour photographs in a daily paper.
- December 1: A rotary driven lawn mower is introduced by Mervyn Victor Richardson, after refining a prototype built from billycart wheels and a peach tin.
- February 19: The Australian National Antarctic Research Expeditions establish a meteorological and research base in the Australian Antarctic. The base is named after Sir Douglas Mawson, the Australian explorer and geologist.
- October 1: Australia Post introduces certified mail.
- November 5: ABN-2 in Sydney transmits Australia's first national television service.
- November 22: The Olympic Games officially opens in Melbourne. Australia finishes the games with 13 gold, 8 silver and 14 bronze medals - placed third in the overall medal count, behind Russia and America.