to visit the VEGEMITE Facebook
Fanpage and join the conversation
Download a PDF of the entire AUSTRALIAN Timeline
- August 29: Jack Brabham wins the Portuguese Grand Prix to secure his second World Formula One Motor Racing Championship. Driving for the British Cooper Car Company team, Brabham takes out the Dutch, French, Belgian and British Grand Prixs to earn the crown.
- October 21: Sir Macfarlane Burnet is named joint winner of the Nobel Prize for Medicine for his work on acquired immunological tolerance - work which advances the possibility of organ transplant and replacement.
- May 27: 90.8% of people vote ‘yes’ in a referendum which gives the Federal Government power to make laws for Aboriginals living in Australian states, and permits them to be included in Commonwealth Census counts.
- July 14: Digit post codes are introduced in every Australian suburb to help postal workers sort mail more efficiently.
- December 18: The Prime Minister, Harold Holt, disappears in heavy surf at Cheviot Beach in Victoria. His body is never recovered, and he is presumed as having drowned.