to visit the VEGEMITE Facebook
Fanpage and join the conversation
Download a PDF of the entire AUSTRALIAN Timeline
- May 8: Over 200,000 protesters march through cities around the country to protest against Australia's involvement in the Vietnam War. It is the biggest protest the nation has ever seen.
- October 15: A section of the West Gate Bridge collapses during construction, sending 2,000 tonnes of steel crashing in the nation's worst construction disaster.
- September 8: Australian swimming sensation Shane Gould returns from the Munich Olympic Games with 3 gold medals.
- December 2: The Australian Labour Party is voted into power, after 23 years as the opposition. Campaigning under the slogan, 'It's time', the ALP, lead by Gough Whitlam, obtains a national swing of 3.5%.
- December 16: A ruling by the Commonwealth Arbitration Commission allows women the right to earn equal pay for doing the same job as men. The decision means 80% of women are given a pay rise; some receive more than $9 extra per week.
- December 1: Sir Douglas Nicholls is sworn in as Governor of South Australia making him the first Aboriginal to hold a vice regal position.