to visit the VEGEMITE Facebook
Fanpage and join the conversation
Download a PDF of the entire VEGEMITE Timeline
- During World World II the Armed Forces were buying VEGEMITE spread in bulk, due to the product’s nutritional value. Fred Walker’s company had to ration VEGEMITE spread on a per capita basis across Australia in order to meet the demand.
- The VEGEMITE brand celebrates its 20th birthday.
- VEGEMITE spread has secured its place in the homes and pantries of Australians.
- VEGEMITE brand packaging features many new promotional labels, often with famous Disney characters like Mickey Mouse (then only a toddler) and Donald Duck. This form of marketing and promotion is quite successful with children.
- VEGEMITE spread clarifies its content with the label description ‘Concentrated Yeast Extract’.
- Post-war prosperity leads to a boom in VEGEMITE spread sales.
- The baby boom proves a strong market, after baby care experts, such as Sister McDonald, are quoted in the Women’s Weekly saying “VEGEMITE spread is most essential,” and further cementing VEGEMITE spread’s reputation for nutrition and wholesomeness.