to visit the VEGEMITE Facebook
Fanpage and join the conversation
Download a PDF of the entire VEGEMITE Timeline
- A new commercial for the VEGEMITE brand is filmed, using Super-8 to achieve a home movie feel. It is accompanied by the ‘Happy Little Vegemites’ jingle and continues to circulate the importance of VEGEMITE spread’s nutritional benefit to growing children.
- Yellow, tamper-evident lids replace traditional metal ones, which ensures VEGEMITE spread reaches consumers in exactly the same way it was prepared in the factory.
- A VEGEMITE brand exhibition is staged at Sydney’s Powerhouse Museum, during the July school holidays. The exhibition features original jars and promotional material dating back to the birth of the VEGEMITE brand in 1922.
- The majority of jars collected from the early years of VEGEMITE spread came from the Australian public following a national search for historical VEGEMITE brand memorabilia.
- The VEGEMITE brand turns 70 and is known to most of the Australian population. A commemorative jar was produced to celebrate the occasion.
- Outdoor and transit advertising is used to promote the VEGEMITE spread breakfast campaign. A large bus is converted into a toaster on wheels, and is used to share samples of VEGEMITE spread on toast for breakfast.
- VEGEMITE spread is released in a tube, to coincide with the beginning of the peak travel period.
- ‘The Happy Little Vegemites’ Awards are launched, and primary schools across Australia are invited to participate. The awards are the VEGEMITE brand’s way of giving back to the Australian community, by making a significant contribution to the growth and educational development of young Australians.
- Over 900 schools responded to the invitation and all had to perform their own version of the legendary ‘Happy Little Vegemites’ song.
- The national winner was Emmanuel College in Queensland, which received the grand prize of $75,000.
- The ‘Happy Little Vegemites’ song is given a more contemporary feel, and a new advertisement is featured on television.
- Kraft launches a new product incorporating the VEGEMITE spread; ‘Snack Abouts’. They feature four crisp breads in every pack and a handy red stick for spreading. They become a popular addition to the Aussie kids’ lunch box, but are also popular amongst adults.
- The VEGEMITE brand encourages older generations of VEGEMITE spread consumers to continue eating and buying the product, due to its high content of Vitamins B1 and B2, which help release energy throughout the body.
- Woolworths gives away 500 VEGEMITE branded toasters during the ‘VEGEMITE, a great way to start the day,’ breakfast promotion.