to visit the VEGEMITE Facebook
Fanpage and join the conversation
Download a PDF of the entire VEGEMITE Timeline
- The new millennium kicks off with the chance to collect your own VEGEMITE branded plate. The limited edition design, only available when buying VEGEMITE spread, features the theme, ‘The future is as bright as bright can be’.
- A new television commercial and colourful supermarket displays are created specifically to support the promotion, and the response is overwhelming.
- The VEGEMITE logo is embossed on to the top of the lid, and the back label is printed with a short story on how Australia’s favourite spread came to be.
- The ‘Happy Little Vegemites’ Awards are re-launched with the new ‘The future is as bright as bright can be’ theme. Over 450 entries are received and Craigmore Christian College in South Australia is chosen as the national winner, collecting $78,000 to use on educational facilities.
- The ‘Happy Little Vegemites’ Awards are broadcast on the VEGEMITE website and all winning entries are posted for viewing.
- The children of Australia are welcomed back to school with a new television advertisement that includes a series of video clips from the ‘Happy Little Vegemites’ entries.
- Limited edition VEGEMITE brand breakfast mugs are launched after the success of the limited edition plate the previous year.
- VEGEMITE spread fans are invited to collect tokens from under the lids of 455g jars and redeem them for the VEGEMITE branded mug. The mugs feature a unique futuristic rocket design and are packaged in a specially designed box. The promotion is a huge success amongst Australians.
- A new series of television ads are launched, outlining the benefits of a diet high in Vitamin B.
- The VEGEMITE brand releases another collectable item – an interactive, magnetic placemat – available by redeeming tokens from underneath jar lids.
- There is a unique brand truth about VEGEMITE spread… despite the fact that it is a single product, its usage is highly individual. The 2008 “How Do You Like Your VEGEMITE?” campaign provoked debate around the different ways you can eat VEGEMITE spread, from the usual ‘Tiger Toaster’ (VEGEMITE spread and cheese) to the more unusual (e.g. ‘The Redback’ VEGEMITE spread and tomatoes) .
- This campaign was launched through Television, radio, outdoor and digital in an effort to “paint the town red” with VEGEMITE spread imagery.
- 2008 also saw the production of the billionth jar of VEGEMITE spread, which was celebrated through a nation wide consumer promotion searching for a special jar through a winning promotional sticker hiding under the cap of one jar of VEGEMITE spread.
- This campaign gained unprecedented PR and media attention as fans around the country searched for the special Billionth Jar of VEGEMITE spread in the “Billionth Jar” promotion.
- After more than 85 years in the Australian market VEGEMITE spread created its first true new product to add to the VEGEMITE brand family – VEGEMITE CHEESYBITE in July of 2009.
This product was launched in the same spirit as VEGEMITE spread back in the 1920’s, with a nationwide search for the perfect name. Initially launched as “VEGEMITE NAME ME”, consumers were encouraged to enter into a naming contest for the new product, made from a mixture of cream cheese and VEGEMITE spread.
- At the AFL Ggrand Final in September, the new name had been chosen and was announced as “iSnack2.0”. However, the feedback from consumers was that this name didn’t properly reflect the brand, so the competition was reopened asking consumers to vote on one of 8 names to be the new name.